Sickness Certificates

Request for medical certificates require 48 hours.

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the ‘Employee’s statement of sickness to claim Statutory Sick Pay’ page on the HMRC website.

Private certificates may attract a charge, please see the Non-NHS Services page for more information.

If you would like to request a fit note online, please complete the Sick/Fit Note triage.

Evidence that you are Sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

With your employer’s support, the ‘Fit Note’ will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the ‘Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)’ page on the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).